Pages

Friday 18 April 2014

Through the Eyes of a Child


Happy Easter and hopefully Spring - such a tease!

Luca and I have been reading Easter books this week….some about the bunny…some about the true meaning behind it all.  I'm trying to explain to him that Easter is not just about chocolate eggs and marshmallow chicks.  While I know most of this is right over his head, some of it is registering in that magnificent four year old mind of his.  One of the books we read before bed, talks about the true meaning of Easter and the celebration of new life and hope. This makes me think of my kids for two reasons.  One is obvious…they are the new life we were blessed to receive and continue to nuture and love each day.  The truest form of a miracle in my eyes.  But it also makes me think of my sister, who we lost in 2001. When Ella was born and placed in my arms, she looked up at me and I saw my sister's almond shaped eyes.  A true gift from God.  Ella also has Aunt Cindi's curly hair and booming personality.  Don't get me wrong, Ella is a spitting image of her Daddy and all his beautiful Italian dark features, but I got that little bit of my sister that I was hoping for.  I am in awe every time I look at Ella.  I may not be able to hug my sister and laugh with her anymore, but I can see Cindi each and every day through my daughter's eyes.  New life and hope…a gift I am eternally grateful for.


Back to the bunny…oh, that creepy little bunny.  Luca is incredibly excited for Easter and all that candy!  We have the "number of sleeps" countdown going strong in the Nicoletta household this week.  We took the kids to see the Easter Bunny at the mall.  Best five dollars I ever spent to see Ella b-line it from the creeper and Luca just stare at him in awe.  It's quite the deal really. The money goes to The Food Bank and you get a disc of pictures to take home. When I took a peek of those beauties, you know I was racing to Facebook to share them with family and friends….priceless.  Between Ella making her big escape in one and Luca staring at the bunny like "THOSE EYES!" in another, I knew I hit the awkward Easter Bunny picture motherload!  

Seriously, who makes these costumes?  I have not met a mall bunny yet that did not look like it should be in my nightmares.  Luca was mesmerized by EB's eyeballs being "stuck".  He told me that the real Easter Bunny's eyes moved.  He saw the movie "Hop" so he knows what the real deal looks like.  Unfortunately that bunny also poops out the candy….lovely. I tried to tell him that the Easter Bunny sometimes leaves clues in eggs around the house to help him find his basket, not just candy.  Not a chance he was falling for that.  Luca's Dad could snap in half when he sees Luca eat junk food - the downside to having a Trainer as a Dad.  Dom better be coming up with some yummy bunny shaped hemp heart, coconut oil, chia seed, cacao nib, protein packed delicious organic candy (that looks and tastes nothing like it) or we are going to have an angry four year old looking for answers!  Good thing Mommy and Ella hit up Target this week.  Mommy even sampled it all just to be sure it was Easter worthy.


See you later creepy bunny!!!
With warmer weather comes driveways, sidewalks and parks filled with neighbours who we don't see all winter long.  It's like a big reunion every Spring.  We live on a great street. Kids galore, a park and splash pad down the road, friendly people who help each other out…we got really lucky.  The kids were finally able to give their new wagon from Santa a test drive this past weekend.  Ella loves to say hello to everyone like most one year olds do.  She has recently traded in her "hiiiiiiii!!!!!" for "ah-oooooo" (a.k.a. hello) and greeted everyone we saw along the way in their flashy red wagon.   Luca just kicks back, takes in the scene and enjoys his snack and drink (he loved a good hello back in the day). We also got to the park for the first time since last fall.  At the first site of the swings, Ella let out the most joyful scream I have ever heard.  You would have thought Mickey Mouse and the entire Clubhouse were at the park. Now we find Ella in the wagon every morning…with her shoes…and that "let's go!" look on her face. Big brother wishes he could jump in too most mornings, but he has to go to school….bummer.  We are all a little excited for summer to get here.

Enjoy your time with family and friends and all the blessings around you this Easter weekend.


Recipe Time!!!

DOM'S EASTER BUNNY CHOCOLATE BALLS (Oh no he didn't! Oh yes he did!)

1 1/2 cup of medjool dates (16 or so - take the seeds out)
1/4 cup hemp hearts (seeds)
1/4 cup of chia seeds
1/4 cup of goji berries (optional)
1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder (we use dutch dark - Dom says "Get the good stuff!")
1/4 cacao nibs (one of the highest antioxidants known)
1 tbsp of coconut oil (melted)
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 pinch of sea salt
1 tsp of vanilla

Put all the ingredients (except the melted coconut oil) into a food processor and mix until all the ingredients form together.  Add the coconut oil and mix again.  The dough should be sticky and moist. If it is on the dry side, try a few drops of water.

Use a melon ball or dough scooper (we use Pampered Chefs medium size dough scooper) and place each one onto a cookie sheet. If you have a side by side fridge or limited space in your freezer, use smaller containers.  Place in the freezer for about 2-4 hours.  We put them into a ziploc bag when solid and keep them in the freezer.  Great treat in Luca's lunches -  no sugar added and nut free!

Luca LOVES these and I have to say, they are really good.  Great Mommy guilt free treat when you have a craving for some chocolate.





No comments:

Post a Comment