Pages

Tuesday 8 April 2014

Mommy Brain

I am sitting here late at night, which is something I keep saying I have to stop doing.  I like the quiet, catching up on e-mails and just the mindless internet surfing.  It may be the only time I can have a complete thought, sit still for more than a minute and not hear the words "Mom?", "Momma?", "Mom-meeeeeee?!?"  But it's also the reason why I am so tired in the morning and have various "Mommy Brain" moments throughout my day.  Let me give you a stellar example.

I took my kids to a children's gym this past weekend...by myself...on a Saturday. The end. I'm pretty sure I said "Oh shit!" when we walked in. All I see is wall to wall parents with cameras and coffee, kids running like they were giving away free Frozen DVD's, birthday party rooms filled with girls and boys hopped up on cake and waiting to be released to the "fun zone" and a toddler section the size of my closet. Right there and then, I knew I was screwed.  

I find these places kind of cruel for parents.  I mean it.  A child used my head as a step and they don't really care that you have a little friend with you who is determined to play with the big kids. I know when Ella gets older I won't find it so challenging, but to watch a toddler and 4 year old solo can truly make you feel like the strongest Mom in the world and sometimes the most clueless. It was a good way to get some energy out during this never ending winter (I'll call it Spring when it stops snowing), but even Ella had this look of, "I thought you loved me?!?"  I knew things were a bit too crazy when Luca was more than fine leaving the first time I told him we were going home. Well that and the promise of take-out for dinner never hurts (I might have bribed him with a mint too). Park season is luckily right around the corner….oh dear Lord, please!

Why the solo trips to these "fun" places on the weekend with two kids, you ask?  My husband is an Athletic Therapist for a professional hockey team.  It keeps him away on the road quite often and me close to a nervous breakdown during those glorious ten day road trips. You want to reach through the phone and strangle your husband by day five.  I know he is working hard too and keeping some crazy hours, but I would kill for just the plane ride alone….a hot meal, uninterrupted grown-up movie, no one following you to the bathroom to see if you pooped or just peed (because that would be just plain creepy)….heaven. That plane ride would rock my world.

Luca and I are reading a book called "Remmy and the Brain Train".  You get on the "brain train" with the Conductor, Dr. Zeez, and he takes you on an adventure through the Land of Good Sleep, storing away the memories of your day. A great book for kids (and adults, especially me) to learn why sleeping 9 hours is so important for our brain to function the next day. Last weekend it was obvious my brain train broke down. If you are looking for help in this department with kiddos not sleeping, I highly recommend this one.  Comes with a fun read-a-long CD too!

http://www.amazon.com/Remmy-Brain-Train-Traveling-Through/dp/097121400X

Recipe Time!!!

This is a popular one in the Nicoletta household.  So easy to make and all good stuff!

Ella took a blueberry "selfie"
Blueberry Vanilla Yogurt Popsicles
makes approximately 10 popsicles 
3 ½ cups of low fat vanilla yogurt (we use greek!)
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen defrosted
1 tablespoon honey

In a small bowl, stir honey and blueberries together. Set aside.

In a blender combine blueberries and 2 cups yogurt, blend until a smooth consistency is achieved.

Fill popsicle molds with 1½ cups yogurt.  Layer blueberry mixture on top.  Freeze 4-24 hours, until popsicles are frozen through. 

                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment