Pages

Saturday 26 April 2014

Spring-ter Blues


Out like a Lion, in like a lamb?  Not so much this year. The lion ate the lamb and is looking for seconds. I am so tired of this "Spring-ter" and the complete confusion each morning as to what to put on my son for school. I stuff his backpack with gloves, splash pants, a winter hat and a light coat incase the winter one is too warm….ridiculous.  My family and friends down south must laugh at us fools up North. Actually I know they do every time I turn on Facebook and see the endless "GOD, I LOVE FLORIDA WEATHER!!!" status updates.  You know who you are. Be careful. I may come down, kidnap you and stick you in a snowbank. I'm sure there is a storm coming soon.           

We had a nice Easter weekend filled with fun for the kids.  I have to say the Easter Bunny really knows how to do it up. Amazing what that fuzzy bunny can do.  If only that were true, but I am more than excited to assist.  I have the "go hard or go home" attitude every holiday.  My husband just steps aside and lets the magic happen.  Watching the kids hunt for eggs is always a highlight for me and Ella really got into it this year.  Luca was of course pumped and ran around finding the pink eggs for Ella to grab…such a great big brother.  We thought we better have tons of eggs to hide since there were two kids hunting this year.  It would also buy the parents some coffee time while Luca went through his eggs (and Ella's) on the couch.  Nope….he opened each egg every time he found one.  And guess who followed her brother's lead?  Our master plan was crushed by a four year old and his "monkey see, monkey do" sister.  


Found Anna's dress too - Best. Aunt. Ever.

I combined "Project Easter Bunny" with the "your brain must be frozen" Elsa dress search last week.  My Niece, who turns five next month, is having a Frozen themed birthday party with the rest of the world. I am one of those crazy people that stalks toy stores for days and listens to every conversation around me that includes the words "Frozen" or "Elsa". My heart stopped a thousand times mistaking Cinderella's dress for Elsa's. I came close to buying one and slapping on some snowflakes. Come on Mom's…some of you know what I am talking about. But have no fear, the best Auntie in the world is here and she found that dress.  That scratchy, cheap, should be a crime what they charge, dress.  Thank you to the Dad that found the last one and said no to his daughter.  Perhaps he saw my look of desperation when he bellowed "OH, THE ELSA DRESS!" and I ran to him like he was passing out free wine samples. Hope your wife forgave you and cancelled the divorce.


After a busy Easter weekend, the kids and I were home this week with the flu. It's the first time in four years I have seen my son quiet other than when he is sleeping.  Even then he can hold a pretty solid conversation.  Poor little man had it coming out of both ends.  He was so confused why his body hurt so much and why he was so tired.  It truly breaks a mother's heart.  Then little sister decided to join the party with a fever, no appetite and some big poopy diapers.  At the first signs of it for me, my husband started to make green smoothies, STAT! It saved me…honestly…nausea, headache, body aches…gone. That and some most needed sleep with the kiddos and I am a new woman.  We are all on the mend, thank goodness. 

Apparently the bunny wasn't feeling well either.
Just to toss in some fun, Ella showed us she can crawl out of the crib.  We woke up this week to our little lovey, sitting nicely at her bookshelf and reading books aloud in her jibberish that we sooooo have to tape before she can tell us to bugger off.  She is the chattiest, happiest, most loving little girl…but we absolutely have no clue what she is saying…totally priceless. Makes 4 am wake-up calls almost tolerable.  Ella was too tired to crawl out of the crib with the flu (had only done it that one time, before she was sick) so we figured we were safe not transitioning her into a toddler bed till she was feeling better. Last night she let us know she feels better…jumped out of her crib, gave her door knob a shake and welcomed me with a warm "AH-OOOOOOH" when I opened her door. How can you even be upset with that kind of a greeting? I just wish we had a little more time with our "baby", but Ella has other plans.  Goes so fast and I am holding on to it all so tightly.

We have our happy Luca Love back!

Recipe Time!!!

Dom's Recovery Smoothie
Makes 4 Servings

This is the shake that stuck it's middle finger up at the flu for me this week.  This shake is also perfect for the morning to kick off your day or in-between meals for a mid morning or mid afternoon boost. We drink one every morning. Be sure to use a good blender…the better the blender, the better the smoothie. We have a Vitamix - crazy expensive, crazy good.

2 cups of frozen berries
2 tangerines
1 banana
2 cups spinach or kale
1 handful of almonds
2 cups of liquid (water, coconut milk beverage or almond milk - whatever you prefer)
Blend it up!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment